Wooden church Borsa

Borsa Wooden Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Borsa Historical Monument, Maramures – sec. xvii

The wooden church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, bears the Feast of the Monastery of Peri Maramures, which later became the Patriarchal Stavropighie through the Tomos of the Ecumenical Patriarch Anthony of Constantinople, 1391.

Location: in the center of Borsa, on the national road DN18.
Visiting Program: The Borsa Wooden Church is open daily between 9.00 – 18.00 -> winter program and 9.00 – 20.00 -> summer program.
Fee: no visiting fee is charged
Contact: 0741 293 088/0743 319 478


The current wooden church is located in the central part of Borsa and was preceded in time by other wooden monuments.

The historical monument that is the wooden church Borsa was rebuilt apparently after 1717, when the previous place of worship suffered from the Tatar invasion of Borsa. The Borseni fought and defeated the Tartars on September 4, 1717, led by the priest Lupu Sandru. The place where the battles took place is still called Preluca Tatarilor.

Descaled polygonal, rectangular nave with a raised semi-cylindrical vault, ceilinged nave over which rises the bell tower and an open porch on the west side, with floor. The shingle roof has a double lap, and the tower has a turret with arches over which rises the slender flex. Of special value is the interior painting made in 1775 by an anonymous person, who is distinguished by the light chromatics in which white, brick and blue predominate, specific colors of the area, but also by moving faces with well individualized faces, presented in a sequence without spatial and thematic restrictions.

In the nave, above the entrance door, sits a two-headed eagle with the Exodus from Heaven on the left and the murder of Abel on the right. Some icons painted on wood are part of the National Cultural Heritage and some of them are executed by the well-known painter Ponehalsky.

In this Church were preserved some valuable cult books, among which we mention Bob’s Bible, Blaj, 1795 which is currently in the Barsana Monastery Museum.